Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Super ringmaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:40 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Super ringmaster

I've just got to do some more reading and I've read the U Control post. I had to tear my shop.appart because of rodents and spiders. Had a professional.do the job but it instilled tearing everything away from the walls. After 56 years of modeling UC and RC I have quite a large stash. I found a Super Ringmaster. Can't remember when I bought it but my favorite U C was a regular ringmaster. I also built and destroyed other models. One was the Fly in Fool. I also found one of those originals. About maybe 6 years ago I watched a model of the larger zflying Fool 40 OS aPat Treedle design. Beautiful aircraft biplane well I ordered one of those. Has anyone built the Super Ringmaster. The fuselage is built up but has the same wing and tail..maybe the tail is a little taller. Also it can be built as a tri gear or tail gear. And I also think aFox 35 Stunt. Any info about this plane? Any your experience.AJ
Old 10-13-2023, 09:58 AM
AJ Sun

Default Super Ringmaster

Gosh sure am disappointed no body has replied. I was talking to another flyer and we were talking about getting a flying circle in the City. But another question came up.about counter weight on the out side wing. I recall something I learned at McCord AFB in Washington about the use of counter weights for balance and weight that was essential on the outer wing. I did a post to Shuge on You Tube don't know if he got it. Also kinda excited but I just ordered a hard point handle from Brodak. $48.00 ,ouch. Stuff is sure getting expensive.AJ.
Old 10-15-2023, 05:43 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello!
The super ringmaster with a fox 35 was the last plane I flew in Georgia, Moody A.F.B. 1960 I gave it away because I had orders to transfer to Williams A.F.B. in Chandler Arizona. It flew well. I have recently considered building another but plans are not available. Maybe one day I will scratch one up. A profile Ringmaster hangs in my shop along with other controline birds I keep just for grins.

old pic of some of my ukie stuff
Old 10-15-2023, 09:55 AM
AJ Sun

Default Super Ringmaster

Super Donnie Man great post. I will try this again my first post did not post for some reason. The AirForce always had great flying fields. I remember Kadena AFB there circle was at Yomitonson Strip above Torii Station the aero club was there also. I met a Marine Ermey yep the old gunny. He flew UC and always talked about the Marine Base I think Futema was where he was stationed. I flew at the aero club on my day off. Every Wednesday weather permitting. I would transfer by Mac so I could carry my UC Ringmaster. And my small metal tool box. With a quart of fuel, props, tools, battery. I use to solder two D cells to get 1.49 volts for my glow plug. I always had a plane to fly and every base I was at had a hobby shop. At Carswell in the 80s had a great shop in the BX. It's gone. And the circle is now a play ground and skate board park.AJ
Old 10-19-2023, 04:44 PM
AJ Sun

I looked at your photo, looks like a Veco Chief hangingonthe wall. I am flying one built it about ten years ago great flying aircraft.AJ
Old 10-20-2023, 05:38 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by AJ Sun
I looked at your photo, looks like a Veco Chief hangingonthe wall. I am flying one built it about ten years ago great flying aircraft.AJ
Yeah I built it in a fit of nostalgia, that corner of my shop is the way back when area most of those birds are copies of what I built as a teenager. If I find a good deal on and old bird from my past I am inclined to buy and build it just for kicks, I have others and I need to stop because of space issues. scratch building is my thing once built I lose interest somewhat and often do not truly complete the bird. I have been puttering with this since the 70's and as you can see I have several models in process (old picture)

Old 10-20-2023, 09:16 AM
AJ Sun

I fall into that sane thing. Oh it's a sickness according to the war department. I have reinvented my UC stance. Really enjoying it, made up some lines this morning. 58 put a larger prop on my Chief just to slow her down. Any way keeps me going. 7 unfinished planes All R" C and 5 UC kits and about 20 plan sets. AJ.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:59 PM
AJ Sun

HeyDonnie, great hereing from you had a hard landing on my Veco Chief. Decided to build a new bottom cowl. Cleaned my Fox 35 Stunt it really needed it. Replaced the needle valve assembly. Was not getting my 4-2-4 break that I usually get. Also ran alcohaul in my tank got a little crud out of it. Let it set over nite. Green crap decided to fill it with MEK and let it set a few days. I may have to replace the tank. I use after run oil. But never thought about my fuel tank. AJ
Old 10-24-2023, 05:13 PM
AJ Sun

Hey Donnie I seen where you wanted to know my flying field. I am in North Texas about 48 miles south of Fort Worth. I thought you were east and south of me. But your near San Marcos. I was a member of the Confederate Airforce. At San Marcos. For about three years. A few of the guys flew U Control behind the CAF Hanger. Still not having a dedicated flying circle. Been using the school properties. But can only fly after school is out, Sat and Sun or holidays. Like spring break. And other holidays. Hope they don’t fume off, we have a RC Park but I don’t care to fly around the R C aircraft. Been trying to get a 200 ft circle. In the city parks. Need nice grass with out obstructions.AJ
Old 10-30-2023, 06:19 AM
AJ Sun

Finally getting things organized, going to,have a sale, sure has turned cold. My allergies and arthritis. Has kicked in full swing. Still organizing. My shop. Dragging out that super Ringmaster. It was a kit, but not a Sterling kit. Had a receipt from a guy in Ohio. I bought it in 2006 when I was flying in Detroit out of Willow Run, great place I joined the Miland flyers, RC club. Was based there three years and got fired in June of 2008. Flight engineer on the DC-8, 63 and 71 series. Didn’t fly control line. But bought A J-3 from another member, and had a great time.lots of off time, on stand by for three days. Then off. Eight other flight engineers. A better schedule would have been on two weeks off two weeks. I was living in a truck camper. And my home was still in North Texas. Back to the Super Ringmaster. Never realized it but it’s laser cut. My BySlob was my first laser cut kit. They are nice. One Of the Miland flyers bought a Super Ringmaster and was going to RC the kit. Another member told me there was a flying circle at the old Luscome factory. And the guys flew every Saturday. Never seen anybody fly their. I ordered that Suoer Ringmaster kit. He kitted twenty of them and sold every one. I was hoping another U Controller had bought one of his kits and was building or flying it. It has nice Balsa and ply construction.AJ
Old 11-01-2023, 01:20 AM
AJ Sun

Well I started the Ringmaster Super style sure is a nice kit. Started the right wing. Plan has the wing on the plan left and right. The first part starts the right wing first step is the wing tips and the three inch bellcrank. Using Sig Super bond and thirty Minute epoxy. This is my second laser cut kit and it’s nice to assemble. This kit came out of Pennsylvania. Not Ohio. So I must be the second owner out of a hobby shop in Dayton. I used the Www website ad they primarily make model railroad buildings. They look like nice wood kits and expensive O scale N scale and some other scales I never Hurd of. I like trains to,mostly O scale but I did an N scale around my Christmas tree. Small in my hanger home.AJ.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:40 PM
AJ Sun

I guess my system is just to old tried to sent pictures but it has a glitch and just will not post. glued the leading edge to the main spar both sides. Will apply some Ammonia and glue to the leading edge tomorrow really cold in the morning so I nap until noon then do some leading edge glueing. And mixed a little yellow and Maroon paint to finish up my repair on my Veco Chief. And my Ringmaster profile 35 Fox Stunt with a 2.5 ounce fuel tank. Ordered a few parts from Brodak going to try the weight box kit they have, and install it on the Super Ringmaster. For mainly wing tip weight. Still researching the Datum and balance point. Need a tan nose heavy. Which I did not have on my Chief. I used BBs in the tail of my Ringmaster.AJ
Old 11-03-2023, 11:19 AM
AJ Sun

Another post my right wing on my Super Ringmaster is done,and now off to the left wing. One wing sheet of ribs was nice hard Balsa,but the other three sheets was soft spongy Balsa. Not good
, I used them any way. But used ply on the w1 rib. It joins and is the weak point in the wing. Also did some reinforcing and will use a more solid Balsa cover in the center join section. That kinda disappointed me when I found the soft Balsa used on the wing ribs. Four sheets of ribs only one was nice hard Balsa. AJ
Old 11-05-2023, 04:24 PM
AJ Sun

Well today was a good day just seen one of the most beautiful sun sets, back to regular central time got dark at six. Started the fuselage first step is the landing gear. And glueing two parts for the landing gear. The wing is about to get joined in the middle.assembled the Bell Crank lead outs, but That center wing looks weak, brain storming a solution to improve this, short of glassing the assembly. Or possibly using thin ply to join the center section it attaches to three ribs 1,2,and 3. That might be a good option. Also that mount for the Bell Crank, really just too small for the pressure it will indure. Reinforcement of that area. Never seen the original Sterling Super Ringmaster. Kinda wonder what that bell crank mount looked like on the original? AJ
Old 11-06-2023, 06:18 AM
donnyman

How about a picture of the super ringmaster to help this thread along, show some PICS of what is on your build table. eye candy helps.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:41 AM
donnyman

here you go .. Just got the pic from the Outerzone free plan site but the plans shown wont help much to scratch up a bird do you have tracings of your parts so I can scrounge a copy? I may not build it but one never knows.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-06-2023, 07:24 AM
AJ Sun

Hey Donnie man. Ya I guess I could do a tracing of all the parts really the wing is no different than the Ringmaster 35. It's 42" inches long no flaps. And the fuselage is built up I can trace all the parts. For ya pretty straight forward kit. It also offers parts for an electric conversion. Question? how will you power it. Nitro or Electric? Never did a Sterling Super Ring.Master, so I never seen the Sterling Kit. But at McCord AFB a couple guys were flying and building the Suoer. My Flight Engineer mentor. Flew one and let me have a turn. The pull was greater than my Ringmaster 35, his Super was powered with a red head McCoy 35. This kit I am building is pretty lite. Kinda disappointed in the balsa. So I am doing a few improvements. And reinforcements. I ordered a few weight boxes from Brodak a 2.5 Oz Stunt Fuel tank. It has a Perfect 3 inch bell crank. Came with the kit and J bolts for the landing gear. I will trace the gear also. . 2 inch dubro wheels came with the kit.the standard ringmaster tail skid. I added a tail wheel and cut a hole and filled it with BBs to get it balanced. That was on my Standard Ringmaster. I don't know about the Super and how the balance will work out. Right now I am planning about 3 inches from my leading edge of the wing. Like a touch nose heavy in my U Controls. Any way that's the latestAJ
Old 11-06-2023, 10:18 AM
AJ Sun

Oh I did not mention pictures. Eye candy! Well I've tried many times my I pad and phone take pictures but they will not transpose to this web site and others I an on. I have a 55 Ford F'100. And I am on a web site thst covers that model of truck. Can't post pictures their. Even gone to the web site that explains posting pictures. AJ
Old 11-06-2023, 12:39 PM
AJ Sun

Oh boy my Brodak order arrived and it’s quality Univair style! I thought I ordered a Stunt Fuel Tank In 2.5 Oz but they don’t make a 2.5 Oz tank in classic Stunt unit. So they sent a 3.5 Oz classic Stunt tank. That will work going to fill that tank area on my Super Ringmaster BH 580 they call it an old time tank, not a Classic! AJ listen Donnie I will make a copy for you right now I have the wing done, and I pull the part trace it number it and put it away. I will have to go to Kinkoes in Fort Worth. And I will try to combine it with another commitment. And I will expect you to cover my cost. Because it will cost me, on a retirement income. I don’t have the money for this sort of thing. Hope you understandAJ.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:18 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Donnyman, is the attached Ringmaster A26 plan the same as a Super Ringmaster?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ringmaster_Plan_A-26A.pdf (274.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-07-2023, 05:13 AM
AJ Sun

GeeI I hate to differ. But no that's not a super Ringmaster. A26 some kinda spinning off looks like maybe the wing, possibly they are calling it a Ringmaster. I see that. Not even the Imperial. AJ
Old 11-07-2023, 05:36 AM
AJ Sun

Well I got my parts from Brodak, and glued up the wing weight box last nite. Turned out swell. I did the leading edge on the left wing and had to trip off about a 1/4 inch off the wing weight box. And glued it to rib number 10 had already assembled the leading edge on that right wing. That wing box all assembled with a small mod. Weighted in at .02 ounce. I have a postal scale and I plan to weigh the left and right wing to see the difference between the two assembly. Before I mate the wing panel. The bell crank assembly with the lead out wires I still need to weigh. Trying to get a rough Idea by weighting all the components. When I repaired my old Ringmaster 35 with the 42 inch wing. The engine is off. I think I will weight it now. Just to see the difference between the two planes. The McCoy 35 is wider than the Fox Stunt 35. And it's also probably heaver. I just realized I got some weighting to do. AJ
Old 11-07-2023, 07:26 AM
donnyman

I do not know what happened, what I sent is not the ringmaster that I remember.

Checking back through my files I found a flood of data that is totally foreign to me. with drawings of the proper super ringmaster. I'll have to clean this mess up.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:27 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by LLRCFlyer
Donnyman, is the attached Ringmaster A26 plan the same as a Super Ringmaster?

In a word NO!
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (12-26-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 07:31 AM
donnyman

AJ
I only need the fuselage tracings I have everything else ....... THANKS!
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (12-26-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.