Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

After having finished a Northstar for a friend this winter, I got the itch and got a kit myself. On his, I modified the engine compartment so it is 1" higher, and 1 1/2" farther forward. We did this to accomodate a Saito 65 swinging a 12X6 prop. He still has 1 pound of lead in the front. On mine, I am considering moving the entire tail assembly so it is flush with the ailerons, like the Arrow. It will also be raised to accomodate a Saito 82, swinging at least a 13" prop. Does anybody see any problems with this?

I've also considered modifting the entire tail section to resemble the Arrow. What should I do / not do?

My friends Northstar has flown, and that 65 is barely enough power for it (3300 ASL). We have also noticed a lateral 'wobble' or wing rock. Is this because it is underpowered? Is it stalling? Thanks fellas!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Default RE: Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

The engine of choice in my club is the O.S 55AX.You want the most power at the least amount of weight.A lot of guys put the fuel tank on the C.G. and you can balance it close to the step.Jim Casey has a lot of mods on the Arrow thread-very helpful.-Jeffo
Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Lamoilleriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

After having finished a Northstar for a friend this winter, I got the itch and got a kit myself. On his, I modified the engine compartment so it is 1" higher, and 1 1/2" farther forward. We did this to accomodate a Saito 65 swinging a 12X6 prop. He still has 1 pound of lead in the front. On mine, I am considering moving the entire tail assembly so it is flush with the ailerons, like the Arrow. It will also be raised to accomodate a Saito 82, swinging at least a 13" prop. Does anybody see any problems with this?

I've also considered modifting the entire tail section to resemble the Arrow. What should I do / not do?

My friends Northstar has flown, and that 65 is barely enough power for it (3300 ASL). We have also noticed a lateral 'wobble' or wing rock. Is this because it is underpowered? Is it stalling? Thanks fellas!

Deadeye, Thanks for asking the wing "wobble" question. Have same problem with my Northstar. Built mine according to plans and I'm using a OS .46FX with a MAS 10x7. Don't have many flights on this plane yet, flying season ended too soon last year. Anyone can answer the wing "wobble" question? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have a .47 GMS on mine. I do not know what the wing wobble could be, unless you are approaching stall speed. If I ever would build another one, I would put a micro servo in the tank compartment for the throttle. My throttle is a little sluggish with that long cable throw. It sure is a lot of fun though! I also skinned the bottom of mine with 1/16" aircraft plywood and skipped the fiberglass bottom. It is holding up real well.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Deadeye

Either my friend's is built way heavy (it was 95% built when I got it, AUW is 8 pounds), or that Saito 65 is gutless. I see no way a 46ish two stroke would fly this. Maybe it is our altitude (3300 ASL)? He is going to try to attach winglets and see if the rocking goes away. I will post results.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Lamoilleriver

Hey Guys,

My Northstar is covered only in monocoat with some fiberglass reinforcement of the pylon area. I have no good way to measure the weight of my model, but feel it is similar in weight to my other .46 size models. I'm still experimenting(or will as season begins shortly I hope and Turkey season ends) with various props on my OS .46. Currently have fine results with a MAS 11x6 on my other .46 FX's, but the Northstar as built only allows a 10" prop. Waiting to see how your mods workout.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 PM
mscic-RCU

Mine falls within the weight on the plans, 6-7pounds. 8 pounds is not out of the range. With the GMS .47, it is a real speedster. It is the fastest one usually at our float fly. 8 pounds with the 4 stroke 65 might be too much. The secret to these is keeping the weight down and selecting the correct engine. I chose the GMS because it is light in weight and very strong in its class. Your friend might consider changing to a 2 stroker to lower the overall weight. With a two stroke, he might be able to shave 6 to 10 ounces of total weight from the airframe.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Lamoilleriver

bump
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
knifeedgeyak

Hey all,

I am right in the middle of building my first Northstar. I am at the step of shaping and adding weight to the nose cone. How much weight have you guys been using. I am running a O.S.ax .46. Any thoughts would welcomed. By the way, what a fun kit to build so far. Knock on wood.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
mscic-RCU

most guys add 16 oz or so. mine has about 12 oz
Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
MartyB-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Have mine almost covered. I cut out as much as i could and fill it with lead shot and will need another oz to balance. Using a thunder tiger 46 hope to fly it this week.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
knifeedgeyak

Covering these things seems like it is going to a be a nightmare. I wish they were in like three parts when you covered them, but what can you do. Any tips?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: knifeedgeyak

Covering these things seems like it is going to a be a nightmare. I wish they were in like three parts when you covered them, but what can you do. Any tips?

Lots of coffee. I cut some templates from butcher paper(have a lagre roll of it for some reason) to fit the plane and then cut them oversize where necessary to make it easy to apply. Remember the template for the right wing when turned upside down is now the template for the left wing.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Good Luck!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: MartyB-RCU

Have mine almost covered. I cut out as much as i could and fill it with lead shot and will need another oz to balance. Using a thunder tiger 46 hope to fly it this week.
Hope to read your report next week.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 PM
MartyB-RCU

Waiting for better weather. Here is a picture hope I can get it to post.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
MartyB-RCU

Try again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27003.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	955958  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
knifeedgeyak

It looks great. How is builing the canopy? I am a little nervious about it not fitting right.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM
MartyB-RCU

Got the first flight in yesterday. This is a sweet flying plane. Give it full up right before touchdown and it lands like a butterfly. Using a 46 and could have more power. Add on to the rudder if you can cause mine would not turn in the water. Other than that I think I will like this Plane.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
knifeedgeyak

has anyone tried covering the wing before they attached to the body? I am trying to make the covering a little easier.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Deadeye

My friend switched to a 60 two stroke with a mini tuned peipe. It's a real rocket now, and he is estimating a 100+ MPH top speed.

I started on my wings Monday, and am at the LG block mounting stage. I'm still really tempted to scoot the whole tail section forward ala the Arrow. I wish Laddie would pop in here and give some advice.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Strykaas

My friend switched to a 60 two stroke with a mini tuned peipe.
Mhhh... I bet he installed the fuel tank at cg location... A .60 is considerably heavier than a .46-.50 engine, so not very friendly with a tail heavy configuration. Which .60 is it ?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Deadeye

He didn't move the fuel tank to the CG. Not sure of the make, but it is an older 60. I'm sure it's lighter than the 65 4 stroker he had on before. He's happy, anyway.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
knifeedgeyak

Have any of you guys installed your throttle servo in the tail. I am going to and am searching for the best location. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Strykaas

Depending on the servo you plan to use, I would have installed it directly near the engine (micro servo) or right behind the fuel tank with a sullivan link. I think there are not that many options actually. [:-]
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
knifeedgeyak

Thats what I did. It is about 5 inchs from the engine with the servo facing down. So the linkage is outside the narcle. That way it does not interfer with the fuel tank and will be easy to make changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.