Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Guinness Record improved

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Guinness Record improved

Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking ...that's a good one...LOL

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
So what do you think the satellites are sending ??
I love it Carsten...LOL

JanR
Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 AM
setxws6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
So what do you think the satellites are sending ??
Microwave radio frequency bands, different the radio waves us mortal modelers use. But you seem to be a brighter mind than I and can possibly enlighten us on similarities and differences between the two....
Old 02-27-2018, 01:50 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by setxws6
Microwave radio frequency bands, different the radio waves us mortal modelers use. But you seem to be a brighter mind than I and can possibly enlighten us on similarities and differences between the two....
Well, you stated that the satellites does not use "radio waves" and I could go on and on about the similarities on "radio waves" and "microwave radio bands"
Simply put, they are exactly "the same" (note the frequency, modulation and power are different, but "they" are both "radio waves")

Hence, the X47, if it is controlled via satellite, is equally as much "radio controlled by radio waves" as our planes are controlled by "radio waves".

PS: 2.4 GHz that most of us uses, is also considered "microwave band"...
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Vmax

Hi guys,
thanks alot for the congrats. And I guess I need to clear things up.
Here are the guidlines and you will recognize that a drone does not fit into this. Shui's record is remarkable for such a big plane. But there is or was no class or category for planes with or without gear, stabilizer, flaps and so on ever. It was someone's OPINION! And it manifests itself in peoples mind.
The DS guys fly very fast but they do not fit in the category. I think they are not able to fly an average speed in two opposite directions. Go through it and I hope that it will give everybody an idea what this record stands for.

Niels

Record definition

• This record is for the fastest speed that a radio controlled model aircraft can achieve.
  • This record is to be attempted by an individual or a team of unlimited size.
  • This record is measured in kilometres per hour (km/h) and the equivalent given in miles per hour (mph).

Rules for Fastest remote-controlled jet-powered model aircraft (RC)

1. The model aircraft must be sufficiently small scale to qualify as a model (as opposed to a normal aircraft that that happens to be radio controllable). This is at the discretion of GWR. As a rule of thumb, it should be small enough so that a person could not fit or be transported by the aircraft.
  2. So called “drones” that are manufactured for military or other commercial purposes are excluded from this category.
  3. Accurate methods of measuring the aircraft’s speed must be used for this attempt, such as calibrated radar guns or telemetry systems. The methods must be pre-approved by Guinness World Records.
  4. The record attempt must take place over a base at least 200 m (656 ft 2 in) long, and it must be traversed in both directions without any intermediate landing. The mean of the two speeds of the two runs over the timing base gives the record speed.
  5. A 100 m (328 ft 1 in) entry to the course is allowed for the aircraft to gain momentum.
  6. The altitude of the model aircraft must remain below 35 m (114 ft 9 in) and above 5 m (16 ft 4 in) during the 100 m entry and the course. These altitudes are measured from the point where the pilot is standing.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Vmax

Oh I forgot to answer to other questions.
I have no clue how many G's I pulled. But low enough not to break the plane.
The servos are two Futaba BLS 175 controlled by a Futaba 6303 receiver. System is powered by a two cell Li-Ion battery with 3000mAh.
You can see the deflection of the ruders in the onboard video.

Niels
Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Niels,

Well done! Fantastic achievement. Unfortunately in this day and age there are many people who feel the need to justify their existence by judging others achievements while seemingly achieving very little themselves. You should take great pride in being someone who has got out there, worked hard and become one of those people who achieved something.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I will love to be 20 years younger and fly this missile...Congratulations ..
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
I hope he gets it even faster so someday we can stop hearing about how diynamic soaring is the fastest.
Heh.. 523 mph if I remember correctly..
Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 AM
Jack Diaz

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Heh.. 523 mph if I remember correctly..

For those interested in the science that is behind those transonic model flights !
This is a fascinating conference by Spencer Lisenby of DSKinetics, regarding his Dynamic Soaring record of 835 kph.
For some reason the video automatically starts at the minute 9+. You have to manually back it to the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv7-...ature=youtu.be

Jack
Old 03-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for sharing that Jack, done some DS myself, but never knew exactly how it work.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 03-02-2018, 05:30 AM
Jack Diaz

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Thanks for sharing that Jack, done some DS myself, but never knew exactly how it work.
Cheers,
JanR

I am convinced that science advances in discrete leaps every time that people like Vmax and Spencer Lisenby exist.
For a rare and fortunate coincidence they combine the scientific knowledge, ability, dedication and passion, to open new frontiers from which in the long run we all benefit.

Congratulations Vmax !! Remarkable achievement !!

Jack
Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM
JoeVen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
It had been more than a year since this oustanding speed record and technical achievement... I'm wondering if Niels Herbrich has pushed the things a little more with his RC pink devil.
I gave up with search engines because them retrieve only outdated info.
Thks
Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job Vmax., very impressive...

I'm a big fan of going way too fast, but I have no idea how you track that thing...
KW
Old 06-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Vmax

Hi Joe,
no improvement done or planed. It does not make sense to plan anything that is faster with this setup. The plane is to small to go alot faster nor is ist possible to align it in the timing track.
Maybe FPV some day which gives it more time to accelerate and I need to get higher since the air density slows the plane down in low level. Time will tell what comes up.
Niels

Originally Posted by JoeVen
Hi,
It had been more than a year since this oustanding speed record and technical achievement... I'm wondering if Niels Herbrich has pushed the things a little more with his RC pink devil.
I gave up with search engines because them retrieve only outdated info.
Thks

Last edited by Vmax; 06-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.